Ski racers are definitely a different breed. Here are 6 things that ski racers might have to explain to non-ski racers:
1. Why You Have a Goggle Tan In January
While all of your friends are inside drinking hot chocolate and watching Parks and Rec, you’re braving the extreme conditions. Sure, this means cold weather and wind, but the sun is still out during the winter. A goggle tan is a right of passage for a serious ski racer.
2. Why You Have 6 Pairs of Skis
Isn’t it obvious?
3. Why Course Inspection is So Important
Open gates, and hairpins, and flushes, oh my!
4. Why You’re Out In A One-Piece Suit in -30 Degree Weather While The Rest of the World is Drinking Hot Cocoa.
Because it’s fun!
5. Why You Have So Many Skiing Events
From practice to camps to race weekends, ski racing fills up a lot of our time. It’s a lot of different events, too. Not to mention that we fill the rest of our ‘free time’ with free skiing.
6. Why You Love Ski Racing So Much
At least this one’s not too tough to explain. This quote from Paul Wojick sums it up well: “Skiing is the closest you can get to flying while you’re still pretty close to the earth.”
Any we missed? Comment below!